Saturday, June 4, 2011

Robbing Peter to Pay Paul


My mother always used to say that she was robbing Peter to pay Paul. I always wondered who Peter and Paul were, but now I think I know. For me it has mostly been overdrawing my checking account at huge fees just so I could pay one or two big bills. It made sense to me to pay a $25.00 fee to keep the lights on or the mortgage paid. So I'm thinking that Peter was the bank and Paul was the also the Bank, cuz a bank owns my mortgage too. I think banks own a lot of stuff, but they just don't tell anybody. The weird part about it is that I read somewhere that if everybody went into the bank and withdrew all their money it wouldn't actually be there. I'm not sure how this works, but it seems not legal.

But this morning as I sit here contemplating how I will get rid of all my "stuff" it dawns on me that I just have too much! What if all I could do was walk out of here with only those things I could carry? It wouldn't be too much. And the thought of that causes me to think about what is truly valuable to me. I'd take all my journals, as of last count that's 3 boxes. I'd take all my photos and photo books another 2 boxes. I need my bed. I need my clothes. I can't carry all that crap. Shit, what about my computer and my desk, my beloved books, oh and my dog, (maybe I could hook a harness on her and she could pull some stuff, poor thing), she can carry herself as long as I keep her fueled up.

My Linkoffice is skeletal compared to what it once was and I wish I had emptied it out a long time ago. Why do we save so much? Why do we hold onto so much? My point is the whole issue of having so much "stuff" is crazy. Letting go of it seems freeing. I can't tell you how hard it is for me to decide what to sell, what to keep and what to trash. And the storage unit industry is booming and it's ugly. Have you seen the storage malls cropping up every where. People storing crap they will never need for fear of letting go. I understand temporary storage, but long term storage?


Looks like Joseph and Sandy have decided to downsize to a 350 square foot home.
Click on that link there's a video and everything. Not too sure if I could live in that shape home, but there are more options. Some people are turning storage units into gorgeous living spaces and the beauty there is they come fully equipped and almost snap together. A perfect option if I can find a state with no land tax.

The thing is there are only a few things I have that I cannot replace and those I will keep, but the most important stuff is not material. I know it's cliche but in this life, in this world, what's truly meaningful are the people you love, the people you trust and the people who love you. If it were not for them I would never be able to get through this. Since I began this blog and even before when I admitted what was happening I have experienced and out pouring of love, support and even money from those who really care. And let me tell you it's times like these when you find out who's in it with you for the long haul. Those are the people you should hang on to. You know the ones you can call up at 3 in the morning? The ones you can bare your soul too and never feel judged or humiliated. The ones whose embrace you can feel even when they aren't present. So even if I had to walk away from here with nothing I would still have the most important necessity in life, LOVE. What else is there? So Love those who love you. Trust those people who show up in your life even when it's messy and ugly and painful. Then give back whatever you can even if it's only a listening ear or an open heart. Dispense all that "stuff" you've been holding on too because all we will ever have is each other!

4 comments:

  1. That is just so good Maria, you are so right it is at times like this that you truly discover who your friends are.

    I am sending you a virtual hug and you are more than welcome to call me at 3am. Love you and here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maggie! It's so good to know I have you! Sending a hug right back to you and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You can call me at 3am too - and not just because of the time difference lol! HUGS from me too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jen! I know I can and I really appreciate it! Hugs and Love right back at you!

    ReplyDelete