Thursday, June 2, 2011

Coming Out

Foreclosure isn't something that just happens, it creeps up on you slowly, maliciously, an insidious pest that chews at your nervous system. It chews at your fundamental fears and pokes holes in all that you hold dear. It's nemeses is hope. It's companion denial.

See, as Americans we were indoctrinated with a dream, a dream that began way back in toddler-hood. We were indoctrinated with an image of a happy home life, even if we didn't have one, which a lot of us didn't, but the dream still existed. It hung out on TV shows and the commercials that happened in between the shows and it crept in. So even when the reality didn't match what was going on around us or inside of us we had something to aspire to. We had something to work for. The house, the car, the dog, the yard, the white picket fence and the handsome partner to hang on our arm. And from this image we would sprout offspring who would be indoctrinated with the same dreams the same aspirations and the same goals. The catch here is that in order to obtain the dream we also would have to make a trade off, that trade off is what I call the 9 to 5'er. If you want the dream you have to trade your life energy for it. This all seems to make a lot of sense in a fair and just world. If you want something you have to do something to get it. And until recently I was living the dream. I was part of the collective consciousness of America and I believed in it. I believed in having all the stuff, making tons of money and retiring at leisure, except there was one or maybe a few fatal flaws in my thinking. The first was that the money I was making would always be paid to me on time and in full. The second was the work would always be available to me. As such I failed to plan. I was an over consumer with nothing more on my mind than love and relationships and happy endings and then before I knew it the bottom dropped out, but it happened slow. so slow that when I realized how deep it was there was a woman knocking on my door telling me that she was going to turn off my electric. Where's the dream in that? If I wrote her a check I knew it would bounce, but if I didn't my lights would get turned off. Daddy always told me to buy stock in Central Hudson.

It was that slap in the face day that woke me up to the reality of my particular situation and the days that followed weren't much better. Next came the car repo man and the collection calls and the dream turned into a nightmare from which I could not escape. This is not my beautiful life!

So you must be wondering how in the hell I got myself in so deep I didn't even know my electric was about to be terminated. The 2 words are hope and denial. Hope that a check would come to my door before the electric gestapo . Hope that I could juggle bills for another month before some one else came-a-knocking, but denial is the important word that I could never wrap my brain. my self talk reeked with it, "It will get better, it will get better." "They will pay me." "Work will pick up", and so on and so forth for months. It's hard to believe that people who owe you money won't pay it even if they know it means you will lose your house and your car and everything you've worked for, but believe it and have some kind of back up plan. I, for one, never did. At first I was pissed at myself for that, but I'm just not anymore.

I spoke to someone about my particular dilema several months prior and she asked me an odd question, a question which at the time didn't make sense. She asked me why I bought a house in the first place. I thought, "what a stupid question?" I answered because I've always wanted one, because I needed a place to live, because it was gifted to me from the universe. I mean really WTF? Then she said, "You thought you could buy security didn't you? But nothing is ever secure, nothing is ever permanent and basically the only constant is change." I didn't even want to hear that. Why do things have to change? why can't I live happily ever after in my little brick house with my dog and my shiny car in the driveway. I thought I was set, but the universe has a way of rearranging things just when you get comfortable. But was I really comfortable? Was I really happy working to pay my bills with a stinking quality of life that hadn't changed in years?

Are you happy with your life? Are you doing what you love and earning money doing it? Or are you always worried about what's got to be paid? Do thoughts of money occupy your mind more than 50% of the time? There is something wrong with that, I think and I feel like there is a way out of it, but that will come later....

So why am I the lone person on the internet openly discussing my foreclosure when millions of people are losing their homes? Well, there are some people openly asking for help or donations or whatever, this is not my purpose. See the thing is there is basically one school of thought on the whole bankruptcy, foreclosure topic. And it's this, if you have or are in either you should be ashamed of yourself, embarrassed and speak about it in whispers to your closest friends, all others are on a need to know basis and if anybody asks why you moved just make something up.

To that I say, nothing good or valuable has ever come out of shame and it never will. So I decided to come out of the closet. If your reading this and you want to come out of the closet too, have at it. Share your story here or elsewhere and maybe together we can create a new dream where the money comes from doing what we love and in a place where we embrace change as a constant and stop clinging to the illusion stability is real. I'm letting go of all my stuff can you?

13 comments:

  1. In 2001 my husband lost all that we had. We were 58 and 66, respectively. We spiraled into about 8 mos of almost continuous fear. Since that time we have learned so much. so very much. My husband started teaching school at age 70 and continues to do so at 76. found out he loves it! Found another career. And I am finally building the dream I've always had - training coaches and helping them create their best lives. All I had to do was one simple thing. TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR HAVING CREATED EVERY FACTOR THAT MADE ME LOSE MY MONEY. TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR 9/11 - the outer cause. But my husband and I know that if we can create that, we can create and attract exactly what we do want. We are doing it one moment at a time.

    Maria "came out". I came out. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, what an honest and real account. I commend you for opening up and sharing your experience. This will knock on other people's mind door, people who are experiencing the same as you....and may need the catalyst of also screaming their own frustration and pain. Good for you. I sense so much strength and even liberation in your writing. I admire you for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for "Coming Out" Maia and for reminding me and my readers that we are responsible for everything in our lives. Sounds like another blog post, I know it's true and I know it can only get better from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Savina I hope it will liberate others and your support of this blog and my coming out mean a lot to me. More than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to think how many people there are out there going through the same thing, but I hope they all get to read your story and add theirs to it. You are an inspiration and a strength. You will not only survive all of this, you will thrive, and along the way, you'll make life better for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria I can hear you in your writing, your voice, the emotion, the truth of it all. Thank you for sharing this, it couldn't have been easy for you.

    I commend you for coming out and laying your cards on the table. I am sending you a virtual hug.

    There is no shame involved here, no embarrassment. Your recovery will come through your inspiration and strength. You will also come out of this on the other side and enjoy your life again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You Brittany your inspirational words mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You Maggie for your words and for the Hug sending one back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria - this is so powerful! Like you and Maia I'm coming out too: I've been in debt virtually all my adult life. I have plenty of "excuses" - my (ex) husband spent all my money; I'm a single parent; I've been made redundant 3 times... but the truth is, I've spent years in denial too and now I'm out the other end I feel so free. I'm still paying off my debts, that'll take a long time, but I'm in charge now. Thank you for being so open and honest. And brave!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for coming out too Jen! I think almost everyone is in debt now or has been I am looking to clean slate it and have a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maria, as usual you have opened your 'real self' and exposed the raw truth - and for that, I am so grateful! You open the door for others, like me, who live the pain that denial, stress, fear have enveloped them with.
    For me, I felt a total sense of despair and humiliation when I took off my rose-colored glasses and looked at our financial reality. It was like a horror movie, really. I had attached my own personal self-worth and pride to the state of my financial ruin. The truth is, though, that there are huge numbers of proud Americans who have had to own up and face this reality. As a Realtor, I saw it in spades every day... foreclosure, bankruptcy seemed to be the norm. I mean, there were lots more seemingly well-off people out there dealing with this than many may ever know. Some of them are the neighbors who look like they have it all together - while on the inside there is chaos. I was one of them. Facing that was tough. When I finally let go of my false ego and accepted my reality, I was finally FREE - more free than I had been in a long time. This is a great blog and a valuable one to boot Maria! I applaud you for sharing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing Gina and for also "coming out" with your experience. I see the inner chaos you describe as as being much deeper than just financial I hope there is a way that others will see it too. What we portray to the public and what is going on inside are usually vastly different. Fear of coming out equals fear of judgment and once you open up to acceptance of yourself you realize it was only your own fear and self judgment that kept you trapped to begin with.... Thanks you again!

    ReplyDelete