Sunday, June 5, 2011

Foreclosure as a Gift!


Sitting amidst the rubble of all that I collected in my life I began to look back at how it has all unfolded. I looked at how everything is cyclical and I noticed that I keep repeating the same patterns over and over again. I've looked at the pieces finding journals from 1994 that could have been written by me last year. The same droning voice, the same complaints, the same desires, the same wishes, the same aspirations. I noticed how common it all was, like what I was writing about could have been written by anyone. We all do want the same things, don't we? Love, money, security, financial freedom, blah, blah, blah.

Then something unusual happened I noticed that I had stepped outside of myself as if watching a movie of my life roll by, screen by screen, moment by moment, one experience after another. Was this it, the culmination of my life's efforts? Was this my life work, to accumulate stuff? Then I just started laughing. Not the maniacal laughter of a person on the brink of exhaustion, (even though I was stupid tired & covered in dust), but the laughter of someone who has just realized that they take everything too seriously. Believe me I am serious about the effort of dislodging all that no longer serves me or others out of my life and I had many moments yesterday where I wanted to throw in the towel and run screaming into another dimension, but I didn't do it. I pushed through it! I pushed through the resistance of not wanting to face what I had created for myself and at the end of the day instead of crying I was laughing!

How had this happened? How had I stopped feeling sorry for myself? How had I re-framed my experience of foreclosure and impending bankruptcy from victim to victor, from experiencer to watcher? How could I think that foreclosure was a gift?

Several months ago I hit an all time low, what people in 12-step programs call,"hitting bottom", it's a dark, black ugly place that exists in your mind. It's a place where you can see no future and your past looks like a series of misadventures that can never be repaired. I had been there before, but this time I was inconsolable. There wasn't a pill I could take or a cookie I could eat or a story I could write that would evict me from the feeling that my life was no longer worth living. So I did the only thing I knew how to do and that was to call someone I knew who was living a life of peace and contentment and ask her for help. It's hard for me to ask for help, my pride keeps me trapped, my ego gets in the way, my fear paralyzes me, but my spirit, pain in the ass that it is, keeps me going. I am still in the process of working out what is in my own best interest, but I've noticed that if I listen to my inner guidance it will kick me in the ass until I do the best thing for me. So yes, I swallowed that gigantic pill-o-pride with a vente' iced cafe mocha and called Maia Berens, one of the only people I know who can help me walk a more direct path through the journey of my life. Because if it's up to me I will build a brick room around myself with no windows and a thick steel door and label it, "I'm a victim of circumstance", lock myself inside and lose the key.

I'm sure she expected the call, but she knows that until the student is ready there is nothing she can do. So she sat in love and acceptance awaiting my willingness to open up to her teaching and when I did she made it easy for me. I am so grateful for that! I asked her if her offer for my attendance in You University was still open. I told her that my life had turned to shit and that I was willing to set aside my resistance and create a much needed change in my life. With an open heart and loving arms she accepted me. The work I have done and am still doing in her training program has created a shift in my experience of the world that can not be explained. I know I can laugh at myself now. I know I see my past in a different light and I know I love myself more and more each day. And right now, as I type these words, I see my current experience as a gift that will open my life to a journey of adventure that I had not been able to imagine a short time ago. I want to Thank you Maia for the gifts of your teaching!

8 comments:

  1. I love you and I've always seen who you REALLY are. You will go on and help many others like you and I and you have started to do so by your own journey into the light of awareness and consciousness and the giving up of VICTIM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, your Spirit truly loves you and is precisely that Essence and part of you that guides you to your greatest good. Wise of you to open to it's guidance. I'm glad you are in our coaching group. Maia is truly a supporting and wise mentor.

    Savina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, your awareness of your situation is astounding. Knowing you as part of YOU University means I know that you are open to all that it has to offer. Maia is our wise fairy godmother and I know you will come through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another amazingly eloquent blog post, Maria. Our wise fairy godmother Maia waited for me, too, and has welcomed me with open arms also. I know that you will come through this a stronger, happier person, and I'm glad I'm on this journey with you. Take care x (I'm sure the venti iced cafe mocha helped too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria you have always been one of my teacher/healer/wisdom touchstones and for years so all I want to argue is that you are just starting. You have been on path all along - too bad we measure by the down cycles... too bad we can't photograph our mystical moments and keep them in the shoe box or journal.
    ((((((((((♥)))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the raw, emotional truth of what of what you say. There's no pretense here, just your own true self. I've been to that dark ugly place at the bottom of the pit. I know it well. I'm so glad you found YOU Uni and Maia. Now you are really going to learn to LIVE! And do you know what else? There's now all of us here cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just say that I, for one, am very grateful to have met you... through your words, I have found a friend I can understand and relate to - one that speaks truth - not only your own, but mine too. Thank you for another amazing post Maria! I feel very honored to have been given the opportunity to get to know you through our mutual experience & journey with YOU University. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I want to respond to everyone individually, but I'm overwhelmed with time constraints and work and writing another blog. Maia, Thank you! Savina you are also and inspiration to me! Maggie Thanks for always being so positive and supportive! Jen, you're funny! Coffee, what can I say? Tamara, I love you! And I want you to know that my mystical moments are recorded too. I think I mentioned one in this blog! Thanks Brittany I love the cheering section and the honesty! Gina you are an inspiration to me I'm really glad we met, sending you love!

    ReplyDelete