Friday, June 10, 2011

Jessica's "Daily Affirmation"



I was on a group coaching call last night and we were discussing that voice inside us that always seems to keep us down. It says stuff like you can't do that, no body will like it, you are too fat, you are not pretty, you can never have what you want! I doubt anyone on the planet is negative-voice free. It's so common that you hardly even notice it, for a lot of us it's standard- operating-procedure-voice and you think it's inner wisdom or proper guidance or that it is telling you the truth, but it isn't damn it! How do you know it isn't? Because there is a sense of heaviness around it, a sense of more of the same. It pulls on you and keeps reminding you how NOT good enough you are. It wants you to question every decision, monitor your happiness, because if you're too happy something bad will happen and it explains to you why what you are doing is selfish, inconsiderate or just plain stupid and it has the logic of your past to back it up. I call it my "Daddy" voice. For a lot of us it repeats the words of the significant people in our lives who made us feel the most shitty, even if it wasn't words they were speaking it is the feeling around their approval or their need for us to be a certain way that was conveyed and if we don't follow it we are bad, but I say F--K that, because we have another voice too!

It's the softer more fun voice who should guide us, the Jessica voice in the video. I'll tell you Jessica isn't monitoring the cookies she eats or the fun she's having or the fit she has when she doesn't get what she wants, and I figure nothing can stop her! I bet Jessica knows what she wants because she has not had a censor beaten into her. Really look at her! There's a girl looking for joy, looking for fun. I bet she slides across the kitchen floor in her socks a lot. I bet she takes on new adventures with a sense of wonder instead of fear. I bet she asks a lot of questions about the world, about butterflies, about people, about life and I bet she still has concern for others in her quest for knowledge. There's a little Jessica in all of us and she has more sense about what is really important in life than we do. How do we get to be like Jessica, by paying very close attention to what is going on inside our heads. You have to fetter out that nasty voice so you can identify it and then tell it to go to Hell. Constant self talk observation is the only way to notice what is real and what is simply B.S. taught to us by others. So listen to your inner chat sometime, write it down if you have to and you will see that there is wisdom leading you to where you really want to be and if you really don't like something change it, because your Jessica voice knows what you really want and it won't resign itself until you honor it and the same ugly, painful patterns will keep repeating in your life until you do it, but the choice is yours.

I noticed a comment under this You Tube video from a poster whose course assignment in college was to watch Jessica and then do what she was doing everyday for a week and then write about the experience in her journal, she loved it. I'm gonna do that too! Will you? Or will you stop yourself because you don't think you have the time to be happy?

PS: Happiness is free, but fear comes with a price tag of regret and you can decide how much you want to pay!

8 comments:

  1. You made me cry for all of us who have let our Jessica voice go. I remember looking in the mirror when I was little like she is and loving me. It's taken years and years of work but mostly my Jessica voice is there in me. It is ME MAIA AND I AM REALLY REALLY CUTE AND SMART AND I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her cuz she can do anything good! I Love you because so can you! I am going to look in the mirror right now! I wish I was small enough to stand on the sink and sing it! I will find a way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this little video Maria and I would love to be able to copy Jessica just as she does it! But in front of the mirror with my feet firmly on the floor does the trick.

    She is so certain and unspoiled and I only hope she stays that way and is allowed to live her life so happily and with such great expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too Maggie! We can play no matter where we are standing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the best inspirational video's I have seen in a long time. I love it and the blog!
    This is great. THANK YOU!!! Keep that Jessica voice. You just gave me back mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Maria... I can totally picture each of us using our Jessica voice! I think we should plan a rendition of this when we have our YOU U reunion. Now THAT would be a kick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be fun Gina all we need is a big, giant sink and a video camera! I laugh just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete