Monday, June 6, 2011

Disconnect Much?

Do you feel truly, madly, deeply connected to anyone or to the Earth. Social networks like Facade Book, I mean Facebook, are all the rage, but honestly is anyone really telling the truth about what is going on in their lives or are they painting a pretty picture for all the world to see? I'm an advocate of truth, but telling the truth can be difficult, especially when we are lying to ourselves. And sometimes social networking can keep us disconnected from others instead of pulling us together. How does that happen? I think it started with text messages, which are good for quick notes, but I know for myself that I can hide behind them. I can be whoever I want to be in a text message. I can take my time answering it, but the human connection, the sound of another person's voice is absent. It's a way to disconnect while pretending to be connected. It's a way to be less then present in a conversation with someone. It's a back door out of expressing true feelings and it's become the norm and it irritates me.

This way of disconnecting has become so normal that I almost feel bad pointing it out, but then I gotsta say what I'm feeling. I wish that when someone had something going on in their lives they didn't expect me to find it on my Facebook news feed, because I probably won't, but then they probably wouldn't post it because everything is always hunky dory in La La land. I was half tempted to prune my friends list to the 10 or 20 people who are most important in my life and let the rest drop off permanently, but then I saw this video:




I've decided to make a contribution by telling the truth and staying connected to as many people as possible even if I have to do it in a way that gets under my skin a little bit. It's the global view that really matters, and if one person can see that opening up to what's real will actually help other people open up to what's real that is all that really matters and maybe, just maybe people will start talking on the phone again and meeting in person again the way it should be the way it was meant to be!

6 comments:

  1. Oh so true. Thank You for adding this to the blog. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! I didn't use Fbook for ages, and then, when I was in hospital I found it very useful for keeping people informed of my status. Since then I've deleted lots of people that I don't actually know in real life... but thanks to Maia I've now met more people online and added them to my Fbook. So it's quite a fluid group of people that I communicate with. Thank you for the link Maria. Hope you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with what you write above. We've lost that warm touch with all of this technology.
    Love your writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for Joining Michelle an Thanks for reading, it means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen! Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a comment. And, Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Deborah! A warm touch is missing, we have to work with what we've got!

    ReplyDelete