Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Is Ignorance Bliss?



I have, in the past, been of the opinion that ignorance is bliss. Why did I formulate that opinion, duh? Because if I know something, than I have to do something about it, and doing something about it requires effort on my part. My M.O. is to exert as little effort as possible while attempting to get the greatest return on that exertion. I'm sure I'm not the only one. But, when I speak here of exerting effort I'm not talking about the mundane in life, those tasks we all must do to keep a household rolling, cleaning a toilet, baking a cup cake, mowing the lawn. Those are annoying daily distractions that I can at times find pleasurable, fun even. When I'm mowing the lawn I get some of my best ideas.

No, I can remain in ignorance by accepting the common perceptions of this world. Like, If someone hurts you it is right to hurt them back. Or, If you are losing your home it's right to hate yourself and think you are a stupid handler of money. Or, Money and possessions are very important in this life. I have in the past made lists of the core values that I was taught growing up and then I have compared those lists with other peoples core values and guess what 90% or them were the same. You could say, well if they are all the same then they must be true. I say that's hogwash. I believe that is ignorance and I say there is another way to look at this life because I know that it's true. I've seen too many miracles to doubt the veracity of another way of thinking.

But going against the grain comes with certain trials. When you come out of ignorance you move towards bliss and the act of moving towards bliss asks you to trust yourself to know what is correct, it asks you to be an uncommon thinker and to do work that may not seem logical to the population at large. It asks you to have the courage to move away from the herd. I could type a list of uncommon thinkers, but mostly we all know who they are, because their uncommon thinking and ability to lead us out of ignorance and into bliss is admired and reported enough.

I posted the video about the man who forgave his brother's killer to drive home a solid point. I know the video quality isn't that good and there are times when you can't really hear what he is saying and those who want to remain in ignorance will find those plausible excuses to not see what is actually happening in that courtroom. They might miss the tears in the eyes of the defendant's mother when her son is forgiven. They might miss the courage of a man who has come out of ignorance and into bliss. They might miss the freedom one finds in forgiving another for a horrible crime.

Forgiveness becomes bliss because there is a palpable lightness around it that is difficult to miss unless you are determined to stay in ignorance.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right Maria, forgiveness does become bliss and is empowering. Thank you for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, You are already enlightened, but Thank you for saying that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I agree. I have battled, as you know, with myself about the forgiveness I have given to someone that has truly hurt me. So bad, in fact, that I wasn't sure it was possible to actually do it. Still, I may not have given my 100%, yes I truly forgive you blessing, but just realizing that it's ok to forgive an injustice when society seems to think otherwise, is quite comforting. I don't feel like I have to question myself as much and what I feel about forgiveness is ok. So, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete