Friday, June 24, 2011

Your Best Friend is in the Mirror!

And the corn just keeps on coming! I suppose one would postulate that a person who is going through a foreclosure would write about doom & gloom, which I do, or about technicalities and processes, which I hate, and probably what people who have a common interest would want to read about, but I don't have all those technical details yet. I could fill you with weird fears by linking to this kind of reading at the Huffington Post. Or I could fill you with the idea that some people really do think of everything by direct linking you to Foreclosed Upon Pets, who knew? Which is helpful because what if you can't take that pet when you move? Or I could fill these pages with seeming triumphs over that big brother bank who makes a lot of mistakes. But, dag-nab-it can you not Google that yourself?

No! What I want to do is offer people a way through despair instead of helping them dig in deeper! Because we can all clutch at our own throats until we gag, this is the common coping mechanism, and to be very honest my general mode of thinking, since as they say misery loves company. I just hate miserable company. You know those types who drone on and on about how bad it all is and it just keeps getting worse until all you hear them saying is blah, blah, blah. And you know it's coming, you can feel it coming and you wait for it and then slap yourself around for having put yourself in that position, yet again.

But, and it's a big but, (no not butt!), what if you were to find opportunity in foreclosure. Closure in foreclosure and new beginnings. That's a Happy Pappy way to look at it. I have had glimpses and it's a shiny place off in the distance while I get the paperwork in order, the box loads in order and my mind in order. In the meantime I will make friends with myself! Yup it's me who I wake up to and it's me who I go to bed with at night and it's I who stares back at me in the mirror.

I was having a quite wonderful conversation with Maia on the phone yesterday and we were talking an laughing about the way children see themselves. I direct you back to "Jessica's Daily Affirmation", and remembering back to that time when you were young and you looked at yourself in the mirror and that reflection was amazing. It wasn't stunted by society's view of your chubby fingers, or your cute, fat ass, or your tosselled hair. Hells no! It was just you in wonderment of what you were. You might point at your reflection to see what happened. You might turn around or hold up a foot, but you never, ever judged it.

You are a thing of beauty. A body of evidence that miracles happen. Mirror work can be daunting after all our years of self hatred. Just sitting there looking at a reflection that stares back, battle scars and all. It also can be very fulfilling to become comfortable with yourself. Comfortable with that bulge or blemish or whatever you focus on, but over time you can become your own best friend. You can become your own best counsel. You can become your own biggest fan and the depth of who you really are will glare back at you with a loving smile and open heart.

I wish that for everyone and I wish it the most for those of us who judge ourselves unreasonably, especially around economic mistakes, because you can choose to be your own worst enemy or you own best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment